Plant potatoes directly in the garden as soon as possible they are cool season crop
- Do not cut the potatoes you need to plant the whole tuber
- Dig a trench 4-6 inches deep and 6-8 inches wide add a light application of an organic granular fertilizer to the bottom of the trench
- Space the potatoes 10-12 inches apart with eyes up and cover with 2-3 inches of soil. Space rows 2 feet apart.
- Plants emerge in 4-6 weeks
- When plants are about 5 inches tall fill the trench in covering the foliage except for the top two inches
- As the plants grow continue to hill around the plants to prevent the potatoes from forming near the surface.